Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Velakkaya Pachadi

Hi


Happy to introduce a traditional and delicious Indian recipe ie VELAKKAYA Pachadi. I think most people do not know how to do this chutney. This is from my grandmother Chinnammai's kitchen. After a long long gap of nearly 30 years, I have done this traditional recipe and once again I have remembered my Chnnammai, my grandmother. I think no one can do it like my grandmother did. My son brought these velakkayalu from vegetable market and even he don't know what to do with these fruit.  Then I went to flash back and told him about my grandmothers cooking levels and skills. Immediately I started to prepare chutney of velakkayalu. It came out very close to how my grandmother used to make. In those days, she used pestel and mortar (rolu & rokali) for grinding the chutneys which gave them an extra taste.

Ok. Let us go to start. I am very exited and wanted to share with all of you urgently.

Ingredients
  • Semi riped velakkaya                            1
  • Green mirchi                                         5
  • Dry red mirchi                                      6
  • Urad dal                                                1 tbsp
  • Channa dal                                            1 tbsp
  • Coriander seeds                                    1tbsp
  • Cumin seeds                                         1/4 tbsp
  • Fenugreek seeds                                   1/8 tbsp
  • Hing
  • Jaggary powder                                    2 tbsp
  • Salt required
  • Turmeric powder
  • Oil
  • Curry leaves

How I did it
  1. Select semi ripe velakkaya and break into two parts.
  2. Scoop the pulp from velakkaya with spoon and keep aside..
  3. Take a pan, add little oil and let it heat.
  4. Add channadal, urad dal, green and red mirchi, coriander seeds , cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, salt and hing.
  5. Let it fry till turns into golden brown. Let it cool.
  6. Take these fried seasoning without oil and grind into coarse powder.
  7. Take the same pan add very little more oil let it heat.
  8. Add pinch of hing, turmeric powder and curry leaves.
  9. Then add velakkaya pulp and stir for 2 minutes so that the stickiness and raw smell will go off.
  10. Switch of the stove.
  11. Then add ground, coarsed powder and mix well with spoon or with fingers.
  12. Transfer into jar or bowl.

See the aroma of hing, curry leaves and pulp of velakkaya pulp mixed together. It goes well with garama garam rice with dollop of ghee.



My Note

  • As the pulp of velakkaya is little sour, one can add mirchi etc. depends on your taste. As I have already told measurements are only for guidance. Ingredients measurements more or less depends on your spicy level and taste.
  • My grandmother used to cook whole velakkaya (before breaking it) on open fire ie on coal fire. So that the stickiness of  the pulp inside will go off.
  • If you want store this in season and want use in unseason, scoop out the pulp from velakkai, mix required salt and turmeric powder and store in air tight jar. Its shelf life will be 9 months.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the recipe and reviving a beautiful memory.

    ReplyDelete